Katie’s Claddagh Cottage provides a range of exciting Irish cultural experiences, event packages & tours.
Fascinating history, folklore & culture at Katie’s Claddagh Cottage Heritage Centre.
Individual or group tours of Katie’s Claddagh Cottage and Design studio. The tour is a visual and narrated tour of late 1800s – 1930s Claddagh heritage.
The Claddagh ring, known all over the world as a symbol of love, loyalty and friendship, originated in a small Gaelic-speaking village on the outskirts of Galway City.
It is now possible to walk in the footsteps of the original Claddagh families and experience life as it was 100 years ago. This restored traditional thatched cottage (only a 400 meter stroll from the heart of medieval Galway) provides visitors with insight into what life was like in a traditional Wild Atlantic fishing village (also famous for the tradition of Hooker boat-building).
Heritage Centre Opening Times: 10am - 5pm Monday - Saturday.
Shop Opening Times: 10am - 5pm Monday - Saturday.
Basic Tour Experience with Tea, Coffee, Scone or Homemade Irish Brack Cake:
Additional bespoke packages can be arranged:
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, scone or homemade Irish Guinness Brack).
- Talk on Hooker Boat history starting at the Museum followed by a sailing across Galway Bay with skipper Ciaran Oliver (on a traditional Hooker boat or motor tour boat) and a short walk to Katie’s Claddagh Cottage via Rope Walk (now named Fairhill Road).
- Music (traditional or classical).
- Talk on the medicinal qualities of ancient Irish Celtic Trees.
- Talk on the medicinal qualities of Wild Atlantic Way foraged food & ocean life (seaweed etc).
- Art demonstrations.
- Traditional craft demos (wood, stone carving, crochet, knitting, weaving).
- Themed workshops and storytelling performances.
- Celtic calendar celebrations: Imbolc (31st January). Celebration of end of winter. Beltain (1st May) Fire Festival Lughnasadh (31st July) Summer Festival. Samhain (31st October) Celtic New Year.
- Christian Year Calendar Events (Easter, Halloween, Christmas etc).
In addition, we can provide a unique and authentic space for groups to host any kind of event of their choosing, including bespoke food events, birthdays, small wedding celebrations and / or corporate events. We provide the space – you bring private catering and entertainment.
With it’s own superstitions and customs, visitors to this community of artists, musicians and crafters are guaranteed a little bit of magic and intrigue. Relax with a hot cup of tea and homemade scones in front of a roaring turf fire; or sit back and enjoy the revival of an ancient Irish tradition of telling stories and singing songs around an open hearth.
Whether it’s seeing how a family would cook on an open fire with a cauldron and bacús, or hearing about the King of the Claddagh’s fishing escapades,’ this is an experience not to be missed.
In addition to this unique heritage centre, Katie’s has a separate building dedicated to art and design. It is possible purchase a unique gift or home accessory that is 100% Irish, bespoke and seeped in Claddagh history.
Fill in a form to design your package & tour option, or just pop into katie's for a meander around.
Click on video below to see a visual tour of our heritage & design studio.
We can host up to 40 people for events.
Or, 25 seated for food / refreshments etc.
Please fill in the below form to enquire about event & tour packages.